[TowerTalk] minimum rotator for hex beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] minimum rotator for hex beam
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:32:12 -0600
I was hoping to get some advice regarding "right sizing" a rotator to use with a 6 band hex beam. I don't want to get carried away with a monster rotator (waste of $) nor do I want to err on the side of too puny and not have it last or become a maint prone nightmare.

It will be installed with the antenna base mount about 40 ft above ground but could conceivably be mounted higher when/if I realize my maniacal desire to have a taller automatic crank-up/tilt-over free standing tower. More wind to deal with but in theory the wind load of the hex is symmetrical and won't present much torque to the rotator.

What about the (possible urban myth) idea that a HD TV antenna rotator is all you need for a hex?

TIA for your thopughts.

73 Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jorge Diez - CX6VM