[TowerTalk] Linear Resonator

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Linear Resonator
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:07:30 -0800 (PST)
I have a half wave base fed vertical antenna spaced about 4ft from a grounded
tower with insulated guys. Although the tower is physically about 5/8
wavelength high, it is quite wide and I suspect that it is actually close to
being 3/4 wave resonant. Obviously there is considerable coupling between the
vertical and the tower, and if the latter is doing much of the radiating, my
power is heading skywards which I do not want!

I am considering putting a linear resonator (as described by Moxon, G6XN, and
others) at the base of the tower so that it becomes effectively an UN-grounded
tower. This would be quite simple to do practically - at least if it ever gets
warm again.

There are a number of  UHF and VHF antennas on the tower. The coax outers of
the cables to these are all connected to the tower at top and bottom, and all
the cables run along tower legs. It is not realistic to put linear resonators
on each of these feeds, but I feel/hope that they are so closely coupled to the
tower that they are effectively part of the structure.

My question is: Am I right in thinking that a single linear resonator on the
tower itself will be sufficient?

If I am not it makes the whole project a non starter.

Comments appreciated.

73 Roger
VE3ZI