[TowerTalk] The inertia of rest and the tilt over

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] The inertia of rest and the tilt over
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:41:48 -0700
I had a lot of difficulty getting started on tilting over my tower.  Before
I installed the tower, I checked out the base and the contractor did an
excellent job.  The thing was stone cold level.  I haven't checked since,
but  I doubt if this has changed (did I mention my eight foot deep base?).

So, when I took out the bolts (as you'd expect me to do) and put some slick
in the tilt-over appliance, absolutely nothing happened.

It took some difficulty and a little crudity I don't want to repeat to get
that first inch or so of tilt and THEN the tower folded over fine.

Is this a problem for anyone else?  Right now, there's no antenna on top,
so there's basically nothing to "pull" the tower backwards after the bolts
are released.

How does this problem gets solved in a way that is safe for the operator
and the tower?  Mine is a HDX 572.

Larry Wo0Z