[TowerTalk] 160M Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160M Antenna
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:08:55 -0800
On 1/23/2013 5:43 AM, John Nistico wrote:
  Should i put  up an inverted v or a vertical
>with 4 ground radials 135 ft long. the feed  point will be 50 ft above
>the ground.

That's a no-brainer. Definitely a classic "ground plane" with four elevated radials. With that antenna height and radials at the 50 ft level, that will be a killer antenna. Try to make the radials as symmetrical as possible, keep then as elevated as you can for as much of their length as you can, and make them a little shorter than a resonant quarter wave (I'd say about 120 ft). I'm basing this recommendation on N6LF's excellent work on 160M radial systems.
73, Jim K9YC