Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a LARGE tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a LARGE tower?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:41:15 -0800
On 1/25/2013 9:34 AM, William Powell wrote:
Anyone out there ever try to shunt feed a LARGE tower on 160 / 75?

By LARGE I mean a 200' - 250' free-standing 30' face tower covered with 3' - 8'
dishes and a plethora of fiberglass omni sticks.

Almost ten years ago, I had the use of a similar tower, about 150 ft, a decommissioned AT&T Long Lines site on a mountain top. I chose the option of hanging sloping dipoles off the tower and feeding them from the center. The tower was tall enough that I was able to hang a dipole that was a full half wave on 80M and had loading coils with about 25 ft of additional length for 160. It worked VERY well. I was able to work anything I could hear with 100W during a CQ160CW, and the site was dead quiet, so i could hear a LOT, The bottom end of the dipole was about 10 ft above the ground. In this sort of arrangement the tower acts as a passive reflector, yielding a few dB of gain in the direction of the sloping wire.

73, Jim K9YC