Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon self supporting tower 80 ft fall report

To: k4vud@hotmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon self supporting tower 80 ft fall report
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:07:17 -0600 (CST)
Charles:

Sorry to learn of your Trylon problems. Of course, you know it was overloaded.
Based on your estimate that the top was 12 inches across you probably have a
Titan T-300-80
http://www.trylon.com/lightdutytowers/pdfs/80ft%20Titan%20Profiles.pdf . If you
look at the specs
http://www.championradio.com/T300-80-Trylon-Self-Support-Tower.52 it's really a
light duty tower. At 85 mph winds it is rated to support only 6 sqft of anenna,
and that's within two feet of the top shelf. My T-500-64 Trylon holds only a
Skyhawk tribander, D40 dipole and GP-15 V?UHF vertical. I calculated that I
could add a long-boom VHF and UHF Yagi and that's it.

The design of Titan towers virtually guarantees that they will fold in half as
you experienced. The upper sections' legs and cross bracing are made from
thinner gauge steel than the lower sections. If you use Trylon's design tool
http://www.trylon.com/lightdutytowers/towercalc.asp you will see that the mid
sections have the least safety margin. They will fail first upon overloading.

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F