Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Antennae

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Antennae
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 06:35:16 -0800
On 2/2/13 3:30 AM, Tom Carrubba KA2D wrote:
Jim

Check out this video from YCCC for WRTC2014.
http://www.cape-vision.com/wayg/yccc/YCCC-falling-derrick.mpg

GL -Tom KA2D

Didn't seem to load, but from the title, that's a falling derrick, which I like. it doesn't have anyone under the tower as it goes up. Unlike the "walk it up".

I'm sort of OK with a one person "walk it up" because that one person can jump left or right and control things, but when you get a group together, and the guy on the right jumps left and the guy on the left jumps right, it's a recipe for disaster. All it takes is one of the people stepping in a hole or rock as they're raising it up

That said, a team that has done it a bunch of times together probably is reasonably safe.. but why not use something like a falling derrick, to pull from the uphill side.