Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question

To: Gene Fuller <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 22:56:44 -0500
Hi Gene.

I see you're not too far from Jeff, W2FU. I'll be turning the new OR2800 with one of his controllers. I'm pretty excited about that!

Thanks for taking the time to do the initial work-up for me and then to further go back and give it a second look. I appreciate the time you took to look into the issue for me by plugging in some numbers that are very close to my real world situation.

While I'm probably never going to have to worry about ice, the winds can cause some havoc here in Florida from time to time. It was twenty years ago - almost to the month that I suffered a catastrophic 3" boom collapse to my 4 el. Cubex quad during one giant wind gust that I seriously thought was going to take the roof off. I got up the next morning, never thinking to look at the tower. It was still dark out and I was happy to be driving 90 miles to the north to the Orlando Hamfest. The No Name Storm http://www2.sptimes.com/Weather/SW.3.html had taken out my boom, overnight. Not until I got to the hamfest did I receive notice from one of my late arriving friends that he'd received a phone call from my wife and been to my house to survey the damage. Half the boom was still held up in the air by its truss line. The other, not so much.

In 39 years as a ham, prior to owning this new KT-36XA I've only ever owned bamboo and fiberglass cubical quads. While three dimensional in nature, they're also very forgiving of the wind.

Thanks again, Gene for performing due diligence for me.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com