Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question
From: Larry Catron <catronl@fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:55:17 -0600
When it come to towers I am still very much in a learning process.  I have
never owned a tower and I joined this group to learn everything I can so that
some day I could get one installed.  Please keep this in mind as you read my
below question.

This thread is centered around thrust bearings for a US Tower TX-455.  Early in
the thread it was stated that this tower has a wind load rating of 18 sq. ft.
and this rating has be used in a few of the follow-on messages.  However, when
I checked the US Tower website it seems to me that it is stating that the
rating is 7.4 sq. ft. at 76 mph with 90 mph 3 second gust.  There is a big
difference between 7.4 and 18.  If I was putting up a TX-455 I would much
prefer to be able to install a 18 sq. ft. antenna vs. a 7.4 sq. ft. antenna,
but I have read many times in this group that you should always follow the
manufacture's recommendations.

So, what am I missing here?  I need to know before I can move forward in
designing my dream setup and maybe some day getting it installed.

Thanks to those that can set me straight on this.

Larry, W0NQW