Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm - v - 50 ohm coax

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm - v - 50 ohm coax
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:07:06 +0000
The Op asked a simple question: "... would I notice any serious difference in the aerial matching etc, between the use of 50 ohm and 75 ohm coax at HF"

I gave him a factual answer: if he has an antenna providing a close match to 50 Ohms, any length of 75 Ohm line between 0.15 wavelength and 0.35 wavelength long (or corresponding odd multiples) will result in a SWR(50) greater than 2:1 at the radio. That covers one third of all possible line lengths - hardly an isolated "worst case".

Of course, those lengths are readily easy to avoid on a monoband antenna; not so easy on a 5-band 20m thru 10m beam with a single feedline!

73,
Steve G3TXQ