Re: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:47:34 +0000
If its a straight run and no bends 100' should go smoothly.  Any rope will
be fine, that cheap 3/8 poly trucker rope is plenty good enough. A few half
hitches around the bundle and some tape to secure it is all I've ever done.
 Home Depot etc has the lube, don't think you need all that much. I don't
know if there's a need to tape the bundle - it would lie flatter untaped
and make more room for the next pull.  Plus you can pull out a cable that
way or use it to pull in another.  But always keep in mind:  Run as much as
you can in the first bundle - i.e. put a spare run or two if you can, plus
all that you need.  The second time will always be tougher.  The problem is
the pull line you leave in there to pull "next time" will often become
spiralled around the other cables, greatly increasing friction and could
damage the existing bundle.  If you have room, I'd pull in a run or two of
3/4 PVC water pipe with a fish line in so you have a nice smooth channel
for the "next time".

73 Don
VE6JY