Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 12:40:00 -0500
Jim Lux wrote about:
Re:Thrust bearings
There's no wear without motion.

I write:
Jim, while I agree with you on this item, I had a tower up years ago that had a
TH3 on top of a KR2000 rotor. I was qrt for several years and never gave it any
thought. Eventually the tower was taken down in a storm and I simply saved the
usable remnants until I moved to my new qth.
I decided to put up the tower at the new place and noticed that the TB3 did not
turn. I disassembled it to find that the little motion over the years had
ground the bearings into the races.
I agree with you about no movement = no wear but how many rotors, other than
some worm-driven rotors or prop pitch rotors have no movement.
I had the races of the aluminum bearing welded, filling the races completely up
and planned to recut the races in my lathe. In the interim, I have picked up a
different thrust bearing, a FAFNIR that is steel so with grease and a
enclosure/seal to keep the weather out, I doubt I'll ever have to worry about
it again.

Roger
aka RoGrrr
KC8HZ