Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:14:00 -0800
One of the worst wear environments for a ball bearing is for it to have small oscillatory motions. As in a rotator infrequently used and subject to wind oscillations. This breaks down the oil film and starts fretting corrosion/wear. When you see the dimples in the races or flat spots on the balls it is time for a major fix. The rotary actuator disk drive guys have struggled with this problem forever and use $$$ lubricants to reduce the problem (and the drive micro code now and then runs the actuator full stroke).

If it is possible have occasional rotation to mostly rotate each ball, then the oil film is re-established. That means running the rotator end to end a few times a month.

A race weld filling plus lathe work is a tough project, I got by in rebuilding a used Yaseu 2800 with dimples by wet sanding the races and replacing the balls with stainless ones and it seems to work ok so far (1.5 years).

Grant KZ1W