[TowerTalk] hazer powering for 70' tower, Aluminum Glen Martin

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hazer powering for 70' tower, Aluminum Glen Martin
From: Kenneth Waites <barbiekenw@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to those who have responded.  Here is what I have found so far.

1. Almost all power winches are not "power out".  That is needed to control the
antenna/hazer coming down.
2. When talking to any tech about lifting say 200 lbs. with even a 6k lb.
electric winch, they start backing away real quick.
3. Colombia Winch is the exception, and their low end HD1300 is nearly $2000.
4. Hoists come with small spools, 39 to 50 feet.  I re-measured my cable, and
it is only 3/16", but I need a spool that will
hold 80 ft. or so of it in case the windings tumble a bit.  That rules out
every reasonably price hoist I have found.

I will have to fit my tower with something to allow mounting an electric
winch/hoist.  I know I could take my chances with
a winch which is not designed for lifting - which seems to be the common thing
to do.  I hate to buy things, and then it not work
out - delaying things further.

Still looking for a better solution ...

Ken K5WK