Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical comparison question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical comparison question
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 23:47:56 -0400
On 4/5/2013 9:56 PM, John G. wrote:
How do the "radialless" verticals, like the R5, R7000, MA5V, Gap ones, compare
in performance to the standard 1/4 wave verticals that are roof mounted with radials?
Does one tend to outperform the other?  I am looking how each performs for DXing and
longer haul communications.

I used the Hy-gain AV640 at the legal limit with good luck.
Ifound the R-5 (which is the predecessor to the AV640 to be a royal PITA which is about as straight forward as I can be.

I worked a lot of DX on the Hy-gain, but not much on the R-5.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

73 John AF5CC