[TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons
From: "Steve K7AWB" <k7awbgoog@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:19:44 -0700
I have a choice of two 6-meter yagis to put up at the 112 foot level on my tower. A Force 12 5BA ( 5 band, 15 element HF) goes at the tower top at 103 feet and above it about 9 feet will be the 6-meter yagi.

I have both a used M2 6M7 (7 element) and a Cushcraft 617-6B (6 element). I don't want to use my 6M7JHV because I am saving it for an array latter.

The M2 6M7 is rated at 10.5 dbd while the Cushcraft is rated at 14 dbd in the manual although, in the VE7BQH list, is shows at 10.17 dbd and I take company specifications with a grain of salt. The Cushcraft has a 34 foot boom while the M2 has a 26.5 foot boom; both weigh about the same. The VE7BQH list is at: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/6mTable.htm

Anyone have any opinions on which one to use? The purpose of the antenna is to work the "weak" ones.

73
Steve Sala
K7AWB
DN17es
Nine Mile Falls, WA
491 ARRL approved 6-meter grids confirmed