Re: [TowerTalk] Split legs

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Split legs
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:18:20 -0400
After a little more thought, the simplest fix might go something like this:

Devise a clamp on leg reinforcement that would be SECURELY bolted to the legs above the splits and would rest on the concrete via small foot plates (to distribute the weight a bit). This would forever relieve the bottom of the tower legs of any responsibility except that the splits would inadvertently take over water dispersion duties. Holes could be drilled at the leg-to-concrete interface to make that process more certain.

The only caveat is that during tower de-install at some future date, temporary guys (or a boom truck or something) will be MANDATORY to get the last few sections down, but that would apply to any pier pin solution as well. Of course one can always just let the last 30' fall over :-)

-Steve K8LX