Re: [TowerTalk] Is Rohn TB3 Thrust bearing OK to use with "flat spots" o

To: towertalk@contesting.com, xnewyorka@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is Rohn TB3 Thrust bearing OK to use with "flat spots" on
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
>  I have an old Rohn TB3 that came with a used tower I  bought.
Cosmetically it looks good and spins without any unusual noise, but it  feels
like the
bearings are somewhat oval in shape instead of round. It's hard  to
explain, but it's almost like a sort of ratcheting effect, like there is a
little
notch every few degrees, so that it almost 'clicks' into place, but  without
a clicking sound.

>  I haven't tested it with a load, but I assume it would  probably spin OK
with only a very small increase in friction.

Howdy --

    The ratcheting is probably from wind hammering  where the antenna is
parked at the same place and the antenna and mast act like  a lever on the TB
bearings when the wind blows.

    The races are aluminum and the bearings are  stainless steel so the
problem is in the race and not typically the ball  bearings.

    Since it spins okay, I'd go ahead and use it. It's  probably got a
shorter service life than a new one but your rotator should be  able to turn it
for years with no additional problems. And DO NOT lube the  danged thing -
it's supposed to run dry.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH