Re: [TowerTalk] Mast recommendations?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast recommendations?
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:09:07 -0400
On 6/4/2013 8:19 PM, Robert Fanfant wrote:
Our field day team is planning to put up a SteppIR 2 element yagi (~25 pounds).
We'd like to mount the yagi  ~20-30 feet high and would like mast
recommendations.  This is only a field day (i.e. once a year) event so cost is
a factor, yet the mast should be strong enough so that we aren't out the price
of a replacement antenna. Our field day location will be in eastern WA where we
at times tend to get moderate winds (~10-20mph) coming through our campsite.
Thoughts?

Can this be one piece, or does it have to be in sections?
If you have a nearby metal supplier, you can purchase tubing, either structural steel or pipe. Structural Tubing comes in schedule 40 and 80 just like pipe and is rolled with a welded seam

I purchase the tubing in steel and Aluminum. The Aluminum is drawn and seamless. It comes in a variety of alloys and wall thickness. For what you want 1/8th inch wall should suffice in 6061-T6. There are stronger alloys if you wish and I purchase 1/8th, 3/16ths, and 1/4" wall. The only drawback to this is, standard sizes do not easily telescope. The steel is also available as DOM. However as cost is an issue, we can pretty well rule out DOM.

All are sold by the pound.

It's been quite a while since I purchased a load og steel and aluminum so I don't remember the prices which would be out of date anyway.

-rob N7QT