Re: [TowerTalk] Mast recommendations?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast recommendations?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:54:20 -0700
On 6/4/13 5:19 PM, Robert Fanfant wrote:
Our field day team is planning to put up a SteppIR 2 element yagi (~25 pounds).
We'd like to mount the yagi  ~20-30 feet high and would like mast
recommendations.  This is only a field day (i.e. once a year) event so cost is
a factor, yet the mast should be strong enough so that we aren't out the price
of a replacement antenna. Our field day location will be in eastern WA where we
at times tend to get moderate winds (~10-20mph) coming through our campsite.
Thoughts?

A couple lengths of pipe with a coupler or lots of duct tape might work. Armstrong rotator?

A 30 foot extension ladder (you can rent them pretty cheap) is another good way. You can lash a rotator to it, it walks up pretty easily as long as you have 3 or 4 people, and guy it with ropes and stakes.

Check your local rental yard.. they have all kinds of stuff that might work out real well for you.