Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 20:04:28 -0700
Interesting story.  Kinda like my early days.

My first novice antenna back in '54 was a 40 meter dipole about 15 feet high
fed with telephone twisted pair.  Bent 1 wire of the twisted pair and stuck
it into the coax jack on the transmitter.  Taped the other leg to the
outside of the coax jack with black tape.

I didn't know it wasn't supposed to work, so I just got on the air and made
contacts with my Heathkit AT-1 transmitter :-)  73
Tom W7WHY

Back when I first got on the air from my home QTH (we had a radio club at my
junior high which I used for about a year before getting my own station), I
had a Hy-Gain 14AVQ 40-10 meter vertical which I ground mounted.  Didn't use
any radials, didn't know I really needed them.  Remember, I was a new novice
and the internet wasn't around then.  I just drove a ground rod into the
ground and attached part of the vertical to that.  Got DXCC plus using that
antenna. I am convinced that it worked pretty well because I didn't know it
wasn't supposed to work with that setup.  Had lots of fun with a couple of
end fed random wires after the vertical as well.

73 John AF5CC