Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:22:26 -0700
On 6/4/2013 9:54 AM, Bill Ogden wrote:
It might be fair to say there are more environmental considerations for
these antennas than for a simple dipole or quarter-wave vertical.

This is a good assessment, and is the basis for my advice to avoid them. Those environmental considerations are primarily 1) the proliferation of RF noise sources that the feedline then couples to the antenna, and 2) the proliferation of electronic equipment (including ham gear) that is susceptible to RFI.

Long wires that end in the shack and most verticals suffer from the same issues, both because they are vertically polarized (and lots of noise is vertically polarized), and because they are closer to noisy and vulnerable equipment.

My point about these off-center fed antennas is that if you can rig one of them, you could almost always rig a symmetrical antenna that will work as well or better. And if you can rig a resonant antenna, it will have a predictable pattern that you can make use of to get GAIN in one or more desired directions.

73, Jim K9YC