Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:49:50 -0700
On 6/4/2013 2:28 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
As long as we're talking OCF antennas, I've always found this an
interesting source as far as explaining them:

http://www.w8ji.com/windom_off_center_fed.htm

Yes. It should be noted that W8JI lives in the middle of nowhere, miles from neighbors. I'm out in the country, but my nearest neighbors are about 500 ft away, and I hear their noise.

If noise and/or RFI are not issues for you, including your ham gear, a Windom might be a reasonable option. That's not the real world that most of us inhabit. The average home today has dozens of switching power supplies and more than a dozen pieces of equipment with microprocessors. All of this stuff is a potential source of RF noise. If you doubt this, run your ham rig on a battery, kill power to your own home, and notice what noise goes away. If you're lucky, your own noise won't be overpowered by what's coming from your neighbors.

The whole point of this is that if you can't hear them, you can't work them. In the past two hours, I worked two new band-counties who were only about S3. If my noise level was any higher I wouldn't have heard them.

No one is saying that any given antenna "won't work," we're simply pointing out that some are better than others, and that every antenna has its advantages and limitations. Almost all wire antennas cost about the same to build (a couple of end insulators, a feed point insulator, some wire, some rope, and maybe one or two pulleys), so it makes sense to put up the best one(s) that you can based on your real estate and availability of sky hooks.

73, Jim K9YC