Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas, and other gear, that work

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas, and other gear, that work
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:07:03 -0700

"Won't work" is an absolute term applied to a purely relative situation. If you had an antenna that somehow wasted 99% of your power (i.e., only one watt made it out of your antenna for every 100 watts you put into it), many of us would probably tell you that it was a terrible antenna. And it would be ... but it would only be down about four S-units from a "proper" antenna and it would therefore still give you S-5 contacts (perfectly readable in most situations) when propagation was giving S-9 contacts to others. There really isn't any such thing as "won't work", but there is such a thing as being knowledgeable and prudent.

The same pretty much holds for gear. Most of us DO know that we can make lots of contacts with extremely simple and inexpensive gear if we aren't too particular about when and to where those contacts occur. There is an entire subset of hams who get their kicks from seeing what they can do with as little (both physically and electronically) as possible, but most of them aren't wasting the result of their efforts on grossly inefficient antennas to boot.

I can straddle a log on a river and paddle it with my hands for the back-to-nature feel of it, but given the choice I'd probably prefer a simple canoe instead.

73,
Dave   AB7E