Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas, and other gear, that work

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas, and other gear, that work
From: "Ralston, William" <William.Ralston@viasat.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:40:18 +0000
Use a light bulb as an antenna. Or even better, an array of three.  It worked
for Tom Schiller N6BT.  I don't have his book handy (Array of Light) so I don't
recall how many countries he worked.

I worked a station while running minimum transmit power into my Heath Cantenna
dummy load.

As Tom says, "everything works" and indeed it does.

Some antennas work better than others.  How much better is dependent on many,
many variables, including how you define "better": forward gain, front-to-back,
Azimuth response, Elevation response, swr, bandwidth, mechanical complexity,
environmental resistance, electrical stability, mechanical durability, cost.

For me personally, I wouldn't trade my indoor 10m dipole in a San Diego canyon
(using the tuner on 15-20 most of the time) for, oh say, a 3-ele 160 meter Yagi
up 300 feet near the Artic circle... but that's just me.

N7VM/6