Re: [TowerTalk] 160m OCF etc

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m OCF etc
From: David Blake <dhblake@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:36:55 -0700 (PDT)
Last October I put up a 160M OCF and could not be happier.  I consider myself a
serious DXer on a budget.  Over the past 58 years I have tried a lot of
antennas and
for the low bands this is the best so far for me.  Until now I have never had
any tower
higher than 48 feet.  No SteppIRs, etc.   I have this OCF at 70 feet fed with
200 feet
of LMR400.

DXCC challenge now at 2727 with the ARRL.  278 DXCC on 80M and even though
I'm sort of a newbie I have 150 on 160M.  My bucket list includes working 300 on
80/75 meters and I see the light at the end of the tunnel using an OCF.

Last season I used the OCF for both transmit and receive, I'm hopeful that by
next
season I can put up a 2nd antenna 90 degrees turn from the 1st one.  Total 352
DXCC
mixed.  DXCC Honor Roll CW and Phone and over 300 on digital modes.

I do run high power and have no RFI issues contrary to some naysayers.  YRMV as
they say.  But it's really all about doing the best you can do with what you
have.  Have
fun and work some new ones!!

73
Dave -N4DB-