Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

To: "'Bert Almemo'" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, "'Ian White'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 19:11:38 -0000
Bert,
    I use to own a Versatower and it had a single lock at the twenty foot
level.  This takes most of the load and released the load from the winch
entirely.   I have two other towers made by the former UK Westower company,
which are heavier duty.  One three section tower is capable of 112 feet when
fully extended.    Both towers have a single lock though I placed stainless
steel bars between the third and second section to remove the continuous
strain from the upper wire rope.   Now this is possible as a reasonable
amount of the bracing is made of heavy duty flats say 25mm (1") wide x 8mm
(1/3") thick.   One could probably not do this with the round cross bracing
as it would bend.    One of these towers is in use forty years and the other
thirty-three years with out incident.

    The larger of these two towers was used at 88 feet for many years but
has since been lowered to 80 feet as I am conservative.  This larger tower
is designed for stays.   The smaller 58 foot tower is not stayed.

    The lock which came with these towers consists of a counter weighted
steel flap which drops in place as the tower is raised.   To lower the tower
one cranks up a couple of inches and pulls a cord which disengages the lock.
While lowering the tower, the lock is kept disengaged by continuing to pull
the cord.   Let go of the cord because of a problem and the steel plate
falls back into place.

                   73 Doug EI2CN