Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:04:58 -0500
Lots of talk about rust. Is rust the only failure indicator besides broken strands? The strands slip back and forth against each other as they go around a pulley. Do they wear out and break with no visible outward indication? What do you look for, if anything, besides rust and broken strands?

I am refurbing a used tower. There are "aircraft rated" cables available as well as galvanized cables and stainless steel cables. What are the chief selection criteria to use in determining which of these to use?

Also, I want to replace the turning block (pulley that reverses the direction of motion) on this crankup tower. Is there any reason I shouldn't replace it with one significantly larger in diameter so long as it is a good fit to the diameter of the cable? I would think that this would be kinder and gentler on the cable.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Bob K6UJ