Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 17:59:12 -0400
On 7/4/2013 4:09 PM, les wrote:
Is it better to place lightning protecting at the base of the tower or
where it enters the house. All cables will be in a buried conduit.

It all depends, but it is required at the entrance by code. If the tower is mote than a few feet from the house, then I'd also do it there.

I ground all coax braids at the top and bottom of the 100' tower with the use of bulkhead connectors. You can reduce the loss "slightly by using a grounding kit at each point instead of bulkhead connectors, but at the frequencies most of us run, I think it's a waste of time and no small effort. OTOH on microwave frequencies, every little bit helps and there the loss of connectors is far more than at HF. From the

In my installation the coax goes to the grounds at the base, then back up about 3 feet to a large NEMA box. They enter the junction box through bulkhead connectors as well. there is a 6-pack inside.

from there they go underground in conduits to the house and shop where there are grounding panels and polyphasers. In the shop I have a patch panel that aids in disconnecting the rigs.

Remember the loss figures for connectors is at their upper frequency limit so when used at HF the loss is miniscule.

73

Roger (K8RI)