[TowerTalk] Fwd: Lightning Protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Lightning Protection
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 19:02:27 -0400 (EDT)
Jay for Pete,

You can never protect yourself enough from lightning strikes. (I wonder how
they do it in commercial radio stations such a BC stations and cell towers.)

Myself, I have nine (9) grounding rods at the bottom of my tower, I have a 6
inch wide aluminium ribbon between the tower and the entrance through the shack
wall. Everything is connected to one grounding point in the shack AND I
disconnect everything when I am not there plus I connect the "lose ends" of
every wire coming from the tower to ground.

Haven't had any strikes in my tower yet so I don't know what will happened.
Hopefully I am not in the shack if I get a direct hit.

I am not sure how well a long run underground will protect you. If the shield
of the coax is bare and touching the ground all the way it will help, but
that's not the way you want to bury the coax anyway.

Underground power cables are not attached to tower and are therefore not so
prune to lightning strikes as the air cables between utility poles. :-)

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS