To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 127, Issue 27
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <K2STN@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:59:49 -0400
Hmmm... took out normally rugged appliances.  "Cook stove, dryer, etc."
These have, or should have, only one path to ground, back through the power cabling.

Sounds like the strike came in on the L1 and L2, the two 120 volt lines.
Suspect that the jolt hit the pole transformer's primary and raised the secondary voltage to a point where equipment insulation broke down... ouch!
Don't know that I'd blame grounding or the lack of it for that failure.
But probably easier for the power company to blame grounding than trying to educate the victims on what really happened. They don't care why, they just want it fixed!

Proper station grounding is aimed at making sure that no strike CURRENT flows THROUGH the equipment.
The current is the bad guy.  The voltage makes it flow.
Keep the potential difference to a minimum by causing the strike to bypass the equipment... should be able to survive the strike. Think, "putting all the equipment into a cocoon with only one connection to the outside world and you'll get the picture on station grounding.

Stan

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Sacco NN4X