To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 127, Issue 27
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:01:39 -0500 (CDT)
the even BETTER way is to detect them before they approach... example, I took a
hit this spring that blew up some beverage transformers... it was the first and
last stroke anyone heard out of the storm!  you can watch or subscribe to
warnings from lightning tracking services that will warn you ahead of time for
storms that are being tracked by their networks, but this of course only works
for storms that are already producing lightning... it sure doesn't help for
that storm that pops up right on top of you and hits you with the first stroke,
or one that is only producing one stroke an hour or other such things.
however, if you run an electric field meter you 'should' be able to detect the
presence of the charge in the cloud near you even before the stroke gets
started.  this won't help except for the very last millisecond for those bolts
from the blue.  I can do this by ear if I am listening on 6m or hf, you can
hear the corona start to build, and build, and build, then blam
  and the corona noise stops, then usually starts to build to another stroke.
this can of course lead to false alarms if the storm doesn't build up quite
enough charge to cause a stroke, or the charges discharge within the cloud, but
it can give you seconds to minutes of warning that there
is charge building up nearby.