Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:07:53 -0700

Not only are the optimum takeoff/arrival angles that are built into the "Figure of Merit" calculation in HFTA based upon averages, they are based upon monthly averages computed from VOACAP over an entire 11 year sunspot cycle. On top of that, one of the original contributors to VOACAP (I believe it was George Lane) has pointed out that of all the 20 or so parameters that VOACAP can address (signal strength, SNR, path loss, etc), TANGLE (optimum takeoff angle) and RANGLE (optimum receive angle) have the least rigorous data to substantiate them. I love HFTA and I think it does a pretty fine job of computing takeoff angles over varied terrain, but I take the optimum angle figures with a grain of salt.

Besides, as you say, the optimum angle at any moment is dependent upon many factors. Generally speaking, very low angles will do a better job when the band is opening/closing, but often have less of an advantage (and for some paths even a disadvantage) during the midpoint of an opening. Also, long path openings that depend upon gray line chordal hop propagation can sometimes do just fine with surprisingly high takeoff angles.

In general it's tough to beat raw height, but as you and others here have said ... it all depends.

73,
Dave   AB7E