Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45AG4 guy tabs?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45AG4 guy tabs?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 16:49:37 -0400
On 8/17/2013 3:41 PM, Jay Kesterson wrote:
Thanks for the input. FWIW I was trying to raise the top set of guys to get a bit more clearance for a yagi that will be on a ring down the tower. Also my mast is very tall and it seemed a good idea to guy at the top to reduce the leverage of the mast on the top of the tower.

The good of guying to the top plate as I see it: My guys are Phillystran with open spelter sockets. So I just have to take a cotter key out of the pin in the end of the socket and I can instantly attach the guys to the top plate. It will mostly be a Christmas tree of V/UHF yagis. The bottom yagi (6m) will be 5 feet above the tower to keep away from the big metal top plate of the 45AG4. So the guys won't really won't be in the way very much. If I guyed lower I didn't plan on running the coax through the holes as I have five coax cables and the LMR-600-UF connectors, used at UHF, won't even fit through the holes. There is another set of guys 24 feet down the tower so I can remove the top set if necessary for antenna work.

You mention 600 UF. I've used a fair amount of it and found very poor life with the stuff. Poor resistance to UV and easily abraded if it rubs against something like the tower top in a rotator loop.

I had 5 runs through a rotator loop that laid on top of a 45G top plate. After 6 years (give or take a tad) the shield was showing through several of the runs.

I figured I'd make jumpers for the station with the one piece that looked good.

I'd made several jumpers when I cut a third to length, It looked like a gray powder around the cut, so I stripped the jacket back a ways. The foil was almost completely gone, but I could find no holes in the jacket. It had to have worn down to the point of being porous because this was a piece from the middle of a run and the ends were good so the water didn't come in from the connectors.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

The bad: I didn't even think about the coax routing. With five feet to play with above the tower maybe I can come up with something and still manage to keep the coax loops away from the bottom antenna. But it will be messy with five cables. It would have been an "OH S***" moment if I tried to run my cables as usual with the guys attached to the plate if not for the input here so thanks.

73,  Jay  K0GU