[TowerTalk] Detuning Skirt

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Detuning Skirt
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry Dave, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

The tower has never had a detuning skirft on it, but I am considering putting
one on. I am aware that detuning skirts are most often used to prevent some
other structure re-radiating ones wanted signal as in the case of your towers
and AM broadcast stations.

What I want to do is slightly different. My antenna is not the actual tower,
but a wire some six feet away from the tower and parallel with it. It obviously
couples very strongly into the tower, and it seems to me that the tower is just
about the right size to be 3/4 wave resonant on 160m. That is a pretty bad
length as (1) it will accept a lot of power and (2) its major radiation lobe
will be upwards - not what is wanted at all.

I believe that a skirt with a series reactance can change the resonant point of
the tower. What I am very unclear about is how I can adjust it - I believe that
normally the skirt is tuned for minimum current in the tower or maximum current
in the skirt. I don't think that either of those conditions will necessary be
right in my case!

73 Roger
VE3ZI