Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Level Rotators

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Level Rotators
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 12:31:59 -0700
Roger makes a good point about many rotator bearings needing some axial load and the high axial loads they are rated for.

I would add a concern about the dead weight load imposed on the tower if a thrust bearing at the top supports the heavier mast sizes/materials discussed. All tower specs I've seen have a dead load spec in addition to wind load. Self supporting towers either fail in buckling, compression or tension of some structural element and excessive dead load may be a problem. IMO, put the mast weight on the rotator and use a true radial bearing (wood, plastic, etc) at the top. Then it is also easy to hoist the mast up a bit to remove the rotator. (aren't the goals to make it easy to work on the rotator and take loads off the tower??)

Grant KZ1W