Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Level Rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Level Rotators
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 20:31:45 -0500
  > There is one thing I caution on and that is somr rotators are designed
  > to work with a load on them and a negative load can be detrimental.

I chose the cable suspension because its easy to fabricate and does
not require any thrust bearings. The original Prop drive gear contains a
spline drive to the gearbox. The spline is long enough to compensate
for the slight lift during rotation and expansion/contraction of the
suspension cable due to temperature changes. I welded an automotive
drive shaft U joint to the Prop Pitch output shaft and coupled it to the
Pipe going up the tower. This compensates for any slight mis-alignment.

    73s de Jim
       W5IFP