Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on towers suitable for my difficult location?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on towers suitable for my difficult location?
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:48:46 -0400
I live in a zone that RS-222G requires survival of 140mph gusts for 3s. I'm
installing my 2nd crank up tower.

The soil where I live is 60 year old dredged muck with high organic
content.

Typically, structures are built on drilled/poured around rebar piles or
driven concrete piles. My pool is supported with 14 driven piles, for
example.

Engineering analysis showed good soil stability, so a heavy duty tower can
be used with a standard base and certified for 14 sq ft in the retracted
position - free standing.

If there is water flowing around the base, you're going to need to seek
advice from a local PE with expertise in marine construction. It isn't
complicated or expensive in the whole scheme of things, but better to do it
right than to have your tower leaning after a flood.

You don't want to put up a structure that will blow away. A 16' x 20'
section of my back porch landed 500 yards away during hurricane Wilma in
2005 with 105mph winds. You don't want stuff flying around that might hurt
someone.

73, let us know what  you decide,

Mickey N4MB

--