Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions
From: Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 18:35:14 -0700
The point I responded to was the statement that some amps fold-back with
very low SWR's. Clearly the use of an antenna tuner was not included.

The fact that most (not all) SS Amps have Automatic Antenna Tuners just
reinforces my statement.

It may take some innovative fellow to come up with a SS Amp that behaves
better and my mention of LDMOS devices may be the way to go.

Some of the newer LDMOS devices are quite robust, and seem to be
oblivious of SWR (to a point).

Clearly, the Tube Amp beats any of the SS Amps today, hopefully that will
change in my lifetime.

73, Dick, W1KSZ