Re: [TowerTalk] SWR variations with power

To: "'Grant Saviers'" <grants2@pacbell.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR variations with power
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 12:29:52 +1300
The feedline goes through fourteen 2.4-inch #31 toroids as it leaves the amp
(three turns through seven toroids, then the same thing again). Might seem
like a lot, but that's what it took to get RFI from 6m at 1 kW down to the
point where it didn't cause problems in the shack.

There are no other toroids on the line until the antenna, which has a
combined 1:2 Unun + 1:1 Balun on a single core. See:

http://www.ultrabeam.it/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73
&Itemid=73&lang=en

I think I found the design they're using in Sevick's book on baluns -- 6
trifilar turns for the unun, and 6 turns of coax for the balun, both on a
single core with permeability of 650.

The antenna manufacturer claims it's rated to 3500W continuous use and
tested well above that; I'm using 1000W max.

If it's a heating problem, it should be better at first and get worse after
a while. I'll watch for that.

(Love the 2K-FA; more off-list)

73, Rick ZL2HAM / ZM1G