Re: [TowerTalk] rigging for lifting a heavy mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rigging for lifting a heavy mast?
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 05:21:34 -0800

>I'm going to be installing a 20' heavy steel mast in my tower (a Trylon 72'
>self-supporting tower).  I will be renting a crane to lift the mast and drop
>it from above.  What >kind of rigging do I use on the mast so it can be lifted
>up vertically, without the sling slipping up off the top of the mast?

I have always used a clove hitch with an extra turn (
http://www.realknots.com/knots/hitches.htm#mwvsl  ) which I tie just above
center of gravity on the mast to prevent tipping on the way up.  Never knew it
was called a rolling or magnus hitch.  To ensure that this doesn't slide I
usually put a muffler clamp on the pipe for the knot to pull against.  A 22 ft.
mast is just about at the limit of my gin pole so sometimes I tie a tag line
(loop) from the lifting line to the top of the mast in order to prevent
tipping.

Tie it good.  If I remember right that mast weighed nearly 200 lbs and was
quite a pull.

Earl
N8SS