Re: [TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground

To: James Setzler <jms_k1sd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:49:36 -0700
If you're going with ground mounted, 12 radials is nowhere near enough,
especially on 80 meters.  You can probably make 40m work with that setup --
I did -- but you'll be doing your DXing with 3x3 signal reports.  80?
Forget it.

When, in Minnesota, I put down 60 radials (well, 64, but the mower got four
of 'em before it "stablizied"), I worked DX like crazy on 80 and 40.  After
talking it over with the locals here in AZ, I can expect poor soil, so it's
going to be elevated radials for me in this state.

If your soil runs to "sod busting", pin them to the ground with "U" shaped
garden stakes (available at any hardware store) and they will work their
way through the grass to the ground over time.  You may lose a few (see
above), but not enough.  As a bonus, you can actually get the radials done
in an afternoon or two.  That's what I did with my HF2V in Minnesota.

And, my radials weren't any longer than 32 feet and still worked fine on 80.

If you can't stand to put them down, even "staked" as I did, go back to
elevated.  You'll be loads happier.

Larry WO7R