[TowerTalk] Wire grounding question

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire grounding question
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 00:08:50 -0700
I am using a K7NV prop-pitch rotator for my almost completed tower project.
For the encoder (magnetic pulse counter) that is mounted inside the PP
motor, I am using a 2 pair small wire cable that has an aluminum foil
shield and ground wire. I will be installing a lightning arrestor at the
base of the tower for these two conductors.

My question, should I ground this foil shield or leave it floating at both
ends (PP rotator and rotator control box)? I would think that it should be
grounded, but does it matter?  Any consequences if I do or don't?

Ray,
N6VR