Re: [TowerTalk] Wire grounding question

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire grounding question
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 01:42:12 -0000
According to Jeff, it is not necessary to shield the pulse wires when using
a Green Heron Controller, however I also use a shielded sensor cable with my
prop pitch motors.  One of the rotators has 450' of control line and it
great.  I did ground the shield to the tower and used MOV's on all of the
other wires. It has survived multiple direct lightning strikes without issue
except the MOVs start leaking slightly.  This messes up the Green Heron ramp
feature. I replace some of the MOVs with 75v GDTs which do not leak.  I am
not sure what the failure mode is or the amount of protection gas discharge
tubes have compared to metal oxide varistors. Perhaps someone on the list is
knowledgeable in this area.

John KK9A