Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter stub

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter stub
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:05:40 -0800
On 12/15/2013 2:07 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
Tom,

I assume this is a shorted quarter wave stub?  Not sure what you are using
to test if your analyzer died, but if it were me I would run your rig into
a decent watt meter (W4, etc) and then from the watt meter to a dummy load
with a T connector on the dummy load so you can put that stub in parallel
with the dummy load.  If you have the stub open it will be 6 half
wavelengths long on 15m and the tuning will not be as broad.  So check the
dummy load without the stub attached and see what you have on 15m (21.360
is 3560 x 6) - hopefully no reflected power.  Then connect the stub with
the end OPEN and trim it until you have the same reflected power with and
without the stub.  When you have no reflected power with the stub open at
21.360, you should have a quarter wave stub that you can short to work on
3.560.

You were loud when you called me on 10m yesterday.

Stan, K5GO

HI Stan

Thanks for the Q on 10 yesterday.

I did a real boo-boo with the analyzer! I was testing some antennas and wanted to check it with the transmitter. I connected the end of the coax to the transmitter and keyed it up and then I found I was connected to my MFJ-259 instead of the antenna. I guess they aren't built to take 100 watts into them :-)

Yes, it is an open stub for 80. I'll give it a try with the watt meter later on today. Thanks and 73
Tom W7WHY