Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:13:27 -0800
On 1/3/14 7:53 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

That's a long-debunked urban legend.  Don't believe me?  Do some web
searching, including the archives of this very forum.

Besides, there is nothing ... nothing ... in any description of a Ufer
ground that requires welding the rebar together.  Crossed and tied
connections do just fine.

7

In fact, there's a whole thing on whether you even need to tie the rebar to make a "legal" and/or "functional" grounding electrode, or whether just having 20 feet of metal in the concrete is sufficient.

Tests show that as long as the pieces of rebar are "adjacent" that it works.

I'll have to find the paper...

I don't think a piece of anchor chain would necessarily work, but it probably would.

The real key is "minimum voids"