Re: [TowerTalk] Basic Antenna Modeling tutorial - W4RNL

To: "Bill Cotter" <n4lg@qx.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Basic Antenna Modeling tutorial - W4RNL
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:49:59 -0500
Hi Bill,

Glad that my response was useful and sorry for the delayed additional response.

Your first Q: If I remember, and I was going through LB's tutorial a few years ago, I redid his tutorial models into the EZNEC version I had at the time. I honestly can't remember if this was because his tutorial models didn't work, or I decided to redo them as "extra practice" with EZNEC. At any rate, they all worked as I expected and I did gain experience in modeling his examples when I redid them into EZNEC.

Your second Q: I quickly discovered that I needed EZNEC+ for the additional segments. Modeling real-world antenna, even wire ones, need a lot of segments. (See my unpublished analysis of a "real" fan dipole at the bottom of my web page: http://www.qsl.net/w1dyj/. Because this complex dipole "wound around" my house, it has many wires.) It also allows you to check the accuracy of the model, as increasing the segments by a factor of two or three and running the model again will tell you if you have enough segment granularity in your model. I am currently designing a "simple" 40M vertical with radials at 10' and am up to 1109 segments to prove to myself that I know what I am doing... (Modeling the source is the difficult part, and keeping all segments the same size is challenging.)

I also started modeling antennas many years ago with YO. And I probably won't sell my programs -- I still have my college texts from 45+ years ago...

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Cotter" <n4lg@qx.net>