Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping

To: "'Zivney, Terry'" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:24:01 -0500
Hi Terry:

I have seen exactly what you are describing with TIC rings that do not
completely engage the motor gear with the ring gear for all 360 degrees.
This causes the pot to keep in step - however the antenna does not move in
these "slip" spots. If the antenna comes to rest in one of these slip areas
- more slip can occur (the motor does not engage with the ring).

You will need to have someone turning the antenna from the control box while
someone is properly secured to the tower and can watch the ring gear and
motor as the antenna turns all 360 degrees. There is a bolt on a spring
(model 1032) that allows the pulley to "give" to help keep the motor gear
and the ring gear engaged. This must be properly adjusted for the worst case
gear mesh.

The Green Heron controller can be configured to short the motor terminals
when you are not rotating. Shorting a DC motor causes increased breaking
action. This modification completely solved all motor drift due to wind at
K3LR. Even wind drift was not a problem for calibration as the motor and pot
moved in lock step.

I have been using TIC rings for over 25 years. We have 18 ring rotors in the
air now and more going up next summer. They have their quirks, but by and
large they are very reliable. I have not had a slip calibration issue in
recent memory.

Hope this helps

73,
Tim K3LR