Re: [TowerTalk] Drill motor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drill motor
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:04:40 -0500
On 2/20/2014 9:55 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
I ran across the DeWalt DWD460 drill. It draws 11 amps, and has continuously
variable speeds in 2 ranges( 0 300 and 0 1300 RPM). Seems like that would get
away from the overheating problem in the worm-gear winches.

There are rating and there are ratings. Most drill motors are rated for intermittent duty with short run times and long cooling cycles.

I purchased the largest Dewalt that Lowe's carries. Drilling 3/4" holes in 1/2" thick I-beam, I burned it up in less than 5 minutes and I had just purchased it.

Drill motors for mixing as have been listed on here may be rated differently, or with a larger reserve/safety factor than those for drilling holes. IOW two motors rated at 13A with one for mixing and one for drilling may not have the same ability to raise a tower.

I've not found a correlation in the ratings. From experience, I've found a drastic difference in ratings for drill motors rated for long run times VS the typical short run times for drilling holes.

I'd limit my purchases to a motor rated for long run times such as mixing.

Caveat Emptor

73

Roger (K8RI)