Re: [TowerTalk] 18AVT DC short?

To: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 18AVT DC short?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:43:18 -0400
Thanks, Kelly - didn't know that was available.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 3/10/2014 1:22 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
Pete,
According to http://www.vk4yeh.com/downloads/hygain_18avt_antenna.pdf, a DC
short is normal.

73, kelly
ve4xt

On 3/10/14 10:13 AM, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:

I recently bought a very old 18AVT-WB which, after working for a while,
is no longer resonant on any band, or even close.

Brought the base section into the house, and it appears to have a DC
short from center to outer conductor of the SO-239, but when I test with
MY MFJ-259B, the short is not present at RF.

Can anyone tell me if, as it appears, this vertical has an RF choke
inside the molded plastic base shunting the output for lightning?